Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Suit Sexy: My Goal and Challenge


A few years ago you couldn’t tell me I didn’t look good in a suit. Joseph and Feiss. Jones New York. Ralph Lauren. I was doing my thing with the spread collar and French cuffs. Fast forward to now and I have become the khaki king. I have gone from downtown fine to a drawstring waistline.

My goal is to lose 75 pounds over the next 12 months. Since I am not a nutritionist or a personal trainer, I am hoping that is a realistic goal. It better be. I do not know how much longer I can rock the khaki and polo look.

My first challenge is to cut out all processed sugar, white flour, and high fructose corn syrup. That is going to be a XXXX for my sweet tooth. Luckily for me, there are whole wheat options for my love affair with pasta. And I have to say goodbye to prepared/prepackaged meat products. No more breaded Tyson chicken or Country Fried Steak patties.

My second challenge is to start walking 3 miles a day, three days a week. Seriously, over the past 2 months, the most exercise I’ve done is to pay the bills in the mall. So, dragging myself to the track is going to be a chore. But, I have no choice. It’s either that or turn into a meatball.

I want to thank Joan for starting this blog and creating a forum for us to support each other in our health and wellness goals. Over the next 12 months, I will be posting my progress and sharing any nutritional and exercise tidbits I come across. And when I lose the weight, I will post a picture of myself in a suit.

W. H. Deyamport, III, MSEd.

13 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Will be cheering you on, as I develop my goals too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will,
    Thanks for your awesome first post here! I love how you outlined all of your goals and I am very impressed by your dedication to not only getting active but also changing your diet.
    I can't wait to see that picture in your suit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, you are welcome. Thanks to you both for your well wishes. It was interesting to sit down and write out a set of goals and a plan for myself. I am truly a wing-it kind of dude. I hope to be able to get into that suit in 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will,
    Looking forward to taking this journey with you! I, too, am using clothes as a guide. I want to enjoy shopping again. I tend to "hide in black" way too often. Friends have pointed that out.

    That suit is calling your name. Can't wait to see it on you a year from now!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. I am glad that you are part of the team. I look forward to following your progress and cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are off to a good start. 75 lbs in 12 months is perfect. Thats about 1.5 lbs a week -- very realistic.

    Diet and exercise have to go together. Try to eat your carbs in the AM or around your workouts. Get plenty of protein build lean muscle -- lean muscle burns fat faster. Plenty of veggies, some fruits, and nuts make great snacks. Try not to eat to late in the PM, at least 3 hrs before bed. I'm no nutritionist, but I've done my reading and try to live along these lines.

    I look forward to your progress. I'm a suit guy too, but a shirt and tie is usually what I settle for in the 5th grade. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to see a man in a nice suit! Looking forward to seeing that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will,
    Thanks for sharing your story with us! I'm sure you'll be able to achieve your goal. Your plan sounds perfect.
    I'm really looking forward to reading about your progress.
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will,

    You will be Suit Sexy again (Hope Elle doesn't mind me saying that! LOL)! I don't tell many people this but when I first moved to Germany I was really depressed and gained 30 pounds. I lost all this in a year when I began not trying so hard but began watching what I ate and stopped checking the scale. I need about 7 more pounds to my wedding weight then my next goal is what I weighed in high school :-)

    You'll get there! Just continue to feel you are the man because when we get frustrated and depressed then we revert to comforting ourselves with foods that aren't good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Will! Best of luck to you. I definitely know this can be done. I lost 20 pounds this year, not by dieting, but simply by trying to live a healthier lifestyle. I think dumping the refined sugar is a huge start!! Do some research into alternative sweeteners so you can satisfy your sweet tooth when you get a craving. Try maple, brown rice, or agave syrup. Also... this one is really hard, but you might want to look into the health benefits of giving up dairy. This has been my most recent lifestyle change, and it's made a HUGE difference. There are tons of alternative, fake-me-out dairy products out there to make it easier to go without. Anyway, best of luck to you!!! Can't wait to see your results!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go for it! Walking is great but also incorporate swimming, cycling, tennis, basketball, etc. Make working out a fun time and not a chore. Portion control is important and snacking on veggies. Anxious to see you looking great in that suit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... Thanks everyone for your support. I didn't think the post would illicit such a response. I am looking to taking this journey with all of you. And I want you to feel free to continue to give me any advice and tips you have, research, or stumble upon. Thanks again.

    Will

    ReplyDelete