Monday, July 12, 2010

Let's Get Physical

After getting into great physical shape in college and then after basic training in the army I discovered a book entitled Aerobics by Dr. Kenneth Cooper. Dr. Cooper first had you find your physical level then he gave you points you should attain each week for your level. He felt the best aerobic or endurance training exercises were running, swimming, cycling, walking, stationary running, handball, basketball and squash. You could use any combination of those exercises to get the points for your level. He was more concerned with the time spent working out rather than the intensity. He later added strength training to the routine. He has different guidelines depending on your age.


The main thing is to get out there and move. Make it a family fun activity. It is good if you can find a buddy to do it with. I find that what helps me is setting goals and keeping a diary of my workouts.

“Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.” ~ JFK

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas here Jerry! I love that you ended with the JFK quote. It's so true that our minds are much more creative and active when our bodies are fit. Thanks so much for this post. You inspire me with all of your sharing of ideas and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the JFK quote. Thank you for reminding us of it. I've been one to dislike exercise for a very long time. I'm thankful that this group and a few friends are encouraging me. I have three days behind me and can already feel a difference! The road ahead is long - but I know it will be an enjoyable journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your post Jerry. Loved the JFK, I'd never heard of it before.
    I like this proverb: "A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step." Hope we all take that step.
    Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. I love this group!

    ReplyDelete