Sunday, August 22, 2010

Right for me

Sunrise in St. Pete. Photo credit M.Simmons(For those of you who have ever looked into astrology…my birthday is on the cusp between Leo and Virgo, so I've always said that I had the best of both signs…but that was the Leo talking. Well, this summer my “Leo” started talking suddenly…)

I used to be active in sports and dance in high school and afterward for several years. But, when teaching really took over my life, regular exercise went out the door. I have two young kids and I really want to stay healthy for them and be a good role model. The only exercise I had done in years is yoga. After talking to some friends who run and bike and reading all the temt posts about running, I thought, “I can do that.” Maybe that would be a good change for me. I have always had that type of personality that thinks I can achieve anything if I put my mind to it. I am invincible!

So I started interval running with a friend every other day. Why wasn’t I improving? “Oh, It’s the humidity." “Maybe I just didn’t get enough sleep.“ ”I just need music for motivation.” ”It will get better soon.” After only 7 running days and 2 weeks of feeling horrible, I finally listened to my body and stopped. I was about to collapse. I was so fatigued I got winded for extended periods of time just walking up the stairs. I went to the doctor and we are currently trying to figure out the reason for the fatigue.

Thanks to some “temt”ers out there, I started reading more about walking vs. running. It reminded me that I don’t have to do what everyone else does, I don’t have to run long distances to improve my health or my life. Maybe I've just never been meant for running. I can be invincible in my own way. So, after 2 weeks of no exercise, trying to regroup, I tried walking and yoga.

You know what? I felt just as good about myself for getting out there and had energy the rest of the day. I'm honoring my body and am doing what is right for me.

1 comment:

  1. Jen,
    I am so glad that you shared this story. I am not a natural runner; I sometimes run but mostly I try to do a range of activities to cross-train and challenge myself. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in competing with others, but I am so happy to hear that you have found your own way to feel great. Walking and yoga are both great ways to exercise!
    I love your quote: " I can be invincible in my own way." We must honor ourselves. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete