Monday, August 2, 2010

Why I joined #temt



I was kind of dreading the 5:30 spinning class.
Don't get me wrong, spinning classes are my absolute favorite classes at my gym. It was just that I hadn't been to the gym in 6 months.
< G.u.l.p. >
During the harsh winter, I fell on ice that left me in a hospital for 4 days and 6 months of recovery. I had a bad contusion around my tailbone so I had a sore *bottom* for a while. Actually, I had so much pain I couldn't walk. I was out of school for 3 weeks.
That's when my blog was born. I couldn't do much so I sat up with my laptop and learned a great deal during the recovery time. My PLN was absolutely awesome and encouraging.

Lately, I've been reading some tweets about getting in shape - phrases like "I just ran..." or "I'm going to go (insert something active), or "I just ousted so and so at my gym" etc. kept popping up. I even heard J
erry (@cybraryman1) give a shout out for #temt from #ntcamp!

It was just the time for me to give exercise a try. I've been scared to sit in the cycling seats, and was not sure if my legs would hold me up.

As soon as I set up my bike, I got on it and started pedalling.
I just smiled like a fool because it felt so good :-).

As a musician, I didn't really try to be good at any sport. Actually I wasn't allowed to play a lot of sports because of possible injuries. I never thought I'd join a gym, but because I loved cycling so much, I joined last year for the first time ever.

Something I love about spinning/cycling class:

1. Love listening to good music while working out (here's a pic of our workout songs).
2. I find myself keeping the beat, counting, and focused, like students in my class. It's quite fun!
3. I love it that you can adjust when to push yourself or relax a bit - I learned to pace & listen to my body.
4. Our cycling room is PACKED every time I go, full of people ready to challenge themselves and being good to their bodies. It's very much like finding such passionate learners in our PLN...every day, any time of the day.
5. It makes me feel really good.

My legs are sore now, but I'm so glad I'm doing this (and my bottom is OK!).
Thanks, PLN for encouraging me to think and take action.

I like this start - and would like to keep it going.

Let's go!
@DoremiGirl #feelingood


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story of your journey back to exercise. I am so sorry to hear of your accident. I saw your tweets and never knew you were struggling with such a painful recovery. Thank you so much for your openness in sharing with us. I am thrilled that you have joined us in writing here. Your voice is inspiring and passionate :-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your fresh post. It is inspiring and reminds us that we do reap intangible rewards from exercising. For me it's the ahhh - it's done, personal accomplishment thing. I also like the boost of energy I often get from it. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading more about your adventure in recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Joan and Gail!

    Although the accident was really inconvenient (happened at the most inopportune time!) and painful, I was tremendously blessed by all the things that had happened because of it.

    My recovery is almost 100% (occasionally I still feel the pain, but not bad).

    So glad that we can keep each other going so that we are fit in mind and body. It's a great way to model for our students.

    Thanks so much for commenting, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Yoon! The first day back is so rewarding. Hope you are keeping motivated and moving still!

    ReplyDelete