Friday, August 13, 2010

Squeezing in the TIme!

AttributionShare Alike Some rights reserved by Robbert van der Steeg


As I wrote the title of this post, I inevitably had the image of me squeezing into my clothes if I don't squeeze in the time for exercise during the school year. It seems that every summer I get myself much more active, develop a routine of running or other exercise, although this summer, thanks to "TEMT" I have really reached a new level of personal commitment to getting fit and staying that way!

Now comes the dilemma, and I hear it echoed throughout the team. How will we keep up our commitment, devoting the time to exercise when we are pulled in so many directions? Now I must admit that writing this makes me feel a bit of a fraud, as last year, I did not keep up my promise to myself. I exercised sometimes on weekends, but overall, with working 2 jobs, commuting to work I did not find the time. I am proclaiming, right here, right now, that I will do it this year! It may not be the 5 or 6 times a week I have been exercising this summer, but here are some ways I will keep up with 3 -4 days per week and incorporate more activity in my life in general.
  • I will keep weights at school and do sets in the morning when I arrive. Bicep curls, tricep presses, squats and other exercises can be quick and easy. You can ramp it up by using heavy books as well!
  • I will intentionally park a bit farther away from my building.
  • I will join the kids in movement breaks often!
  • I will plan ahead for breaks in my day. I tutor as well as teach and when I get finished working by 5:30 or 6:00 there is no reason why I can't change clothes and shoes and go for a run before my hour long commute.
  • I will commit to exercise during the week at least 2 times on weekdays and both weekend days. Making a reasonable expectation will ensure that I don't give up. 
  • I will use the tv/dvd player in my classroom to do a short exercise routine before hopping in the car to go tutor. I must choose carefully so I don't get too sweaty, as we don't have shower facilities at my school.
  • I will ask the staff at my new school if anyone wants to commit to running with me after school one afternoon per week! 
As you can see, there are many ways to get creative and move around. For many of you serious runners, my ideas may not be enough. I already get up early (5:30 a.m.) so I know that running at 4:30 a.m. and being on the road by 6:00 a.m.  probably isn't a goal I would stick to. For me, making reasonable initial goals will ensure success and allow me to still try to "squeeze in" the time whenever I can.

What will you do to squeeze in the exercise time?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck to you. I love your honesty and I can ditto so much of what you've said. Last year, I got a couple of teachers to workout with me during our lunch and we were pretty good about doing it for a while. The 10 min workout videos are great. They get you moving, but don't make you too sweaty.
    ...wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think there are several teachers at my school also concerned with keeping up with workouts so we may walk/run together after school. I do want to definitely try to squeeze in a 20 min video also when possible. Thanks for chiming in!

    ReplyDelete