Monday, July 29, 2013

Why I Run


                                                                    
I am a runner and have been dedicated to it six days a week, fifty two weeks out of the year for thirty one years. Four days a week I wake at 4:15 am so I can run before I go to school. I am a morning person and the hour goes by quickly and serves multiple purposes. Not only do I get in my exercise but it also allows me to think. What I mean by think is review and plan what I’ll do with my students that day, reflect on my life, or think about what I need to do at home.

No matter where I am the shoes come out and off I go. If you’re on vacation what a great way to see a new city or surrounding area. One of my most memorable runs was on the beach in South Carolina. The sun was rising and it was truly magical. I also will never forget running on Bay Street in Charleston pasted so many historical homes.

The bottom line is it doesn’t matter if your fast or slow or somewhere in between, what time of day you choose, or what you’re wearing. What matters is you’re out there. You are doing something for you. You need to take care of you. Yes, your job is important but so is your well being. So get some shoes and go. Take it slow, set small goals and most importantly don’t give up.



By JoAnn Jacobs 

2 comments:

  1. I have just started walking/jogging. Thanks for the great blog post...I am headed for the trails right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, JoAnn, for this post! I don't love running but I do like to move, and I run because it's a challenge and also a privilege. I can imagine that you have many beautiful places to run in Hawaii :-) And.. you are so right about our wellbeing. Our jobs come second!

    ReplyDelete