Thursday, July 7, 2011

Summertime..and the #Temt in's Easy

Spinach Salad with Shrimp

For me, summer is the time when I finally get my act together, resume regular workouts, and prepare yummy healthy meals. Well, most of the time, anyway! Even with family visitors, celebration of holidays and birthdays, it's still easier for me to take care of myself when the pressures of the daily commute and busy teaching day are off.

Maybe it's time that I developed some new habits. They say that it takes 30 days to create a habit, and I have just about 30 days before I return to work full-time.  So here are some things I am going to do to make my life easier and prepare for when the hustle and bustle of school returns.


  1. Make a yummy, healthy food shopping list on Evernote: This way, when I am at the store, starved and brain-dead from a long day, I will have a go-to list and I won't feel deprived.
  2. Keep a salad bar ready in the refrigerator : If I get in the habit of having healthy veggies cut up and ready in the frig. I can just keep it going when school starts. I have thought of this often, but the habit just hasn't stuck. Suggestions?
  3. Make a menu of fun workouts: Sometimes when I am tired or just unable to make a decision, I need ideas of fun ways to exercise so that it sounds less like a chore. Why not get creative and draw (or create on the computer) a visual representation of all the ways I like to exercise? I bet I can come up with at least 10..maybe even 20. Stay tuned for a future post on that!
  4. Get a buddy involved: Last year my teacher friend next door and I talked of choosing a day after school when we would run together. Another coworker suggested hiking on a nearby trail. We didn't do it, but I plan to make it happen this year. A google doc is in the making for "collaborative opportunities for exercise."I will share it at our Summer Institute when we get together for professional development in August. 
  5. Start the day in workout clothes: It's hard to distract yourself from the workout when you're already dressed. Today I will be going straight from the pj's to the fun new workout clothes I scored on the clearance rack at Marshalls! 
How will you develop a new habit to make health a priority during all seasons of the year?

7 comments:

  1. I have bookmarked your site in my browser to check back whenever you update your blog with another useful post. Keep up the good work.


    fitness motivators

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mental Health Therapy and Mental Health Treatment Programs are easily located and need to be used. Know why mental health is important for every individual. Also know why mental CBD for anxiety and depression disorders are caused, what are their consequences and how can they be treated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the biggest impediments to successfully quitting smoking is your internal belief system. Henry Ford once said that if you vape life you can or you think you can't either way you are right. Of course that is easier said than done sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Medical marijuana use, while legal in several states, poses serious problems for the patient/parent navigating the family court system and seeking custody or visitation with their children. Here are some helpful suggestions if you are a medical marijuana patient involved in a child custody dispute. los angeles kush

    ReplyDelete
  5. The current real estate market arrays an increase in property value on peripheral and outer ring road area while the values are stable at Central Business District (CBD) region. The reason quoted by most of the property consultants in Bangalore is that the CBD region is on the verge of saturation and there is demand for more space from the people and from industrial sector. ACNE

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article is designed to give you some ideas about getting out and about from the Melbourne CBD. You may be visiting on holidays or business and may be wanting to get out of the hussle and bussle of the city. Routes can easily be varied and can generally be achieved on foot, bicycle or Public Transport. If you don't have a bike, there are several bicycle hire stations throughout the CBD. News

    ReplyDelete
  7. Employer-based retirement health care insurance benefits continue to decline, according to recent industry reports. Many retirees have been able to rely on private or state employer-based retirement health benefits for supplemental health care coverage while on Medicare in the past, but this is becoming less common. Employer-based health-related benefits can provide important coverage for the gaps that exist in Medicare programs. fuel factor x

    ReplyDelete